Thursday 29 August 2013

H.R Puffin-stuff.

During the week, Puffin and I were headed outside, and turned around to an unexpected site. Six sliding doors. Puffin didn't put them there. Squirrel didn't put them there. We hadn't ordered them either. We had wanted sliding doors for our two double wardrobes, to save a bit of space, but didn't think that by wishing it to be so, they could simply turn up. But maybe out outdoor area is a replicator, ala Star Trek, and if I think long and hard enough about things I want, they will eventually all end up in our outdoor area. *thinks about Freedom and Country Road gift vouchers*


Or perhaps Puffin and I are sleep-door-thieves, and have been sleep walking all over town, thieving doors.


As it turns out, they had been delivered by Gary earlier that morning. But now Puffin and I are wondering what to do with them, as our master bedroom has full length mirrors on the inside of the doors, and if we swapped out the doors we would lose these mirrors. Which leads me to one of today's task - heading to my friends at What Knots to see if they are able to cut down and frame a mirror that I bring to them, to that we may have a free standing mirror both in the master bedroom, and the entrance way (Good thinking on that one Puffin!)


Squirrel has also gone and checked out some other stuff for the house - with a quick stop at Ikea (where she found the perfect flour/sugar/oat jars) before she ventured to Perini tiles. When I posted about our tiles a few weeks ago, I had been looking at Academy Tiles in Richmond. Well, I got my quote, and I was happy with it, but they required me to order a minimum of 5 square meters, and would not be available until at least mid way through November. Which posed issues around how we will protect the splashback area in the meantime, and also means when we have a housewarming, our kitchen won't be 'finished' which is a vanity thing more than anything. And ordering 5 square meters skyrockets the price, and leaves us with more tiles than we would know what to do with.

So on the recommendation of the incredibly lovely Stacey, I checked out Perini tiles. Here, we struck gold. The same tiles were $30 less, and there was no minimum quantity! Because these will likely be ordered while Puffin is overseas, Squirrel checked them out in person and took some photos to make sure they were o-k. 

When I got there though, there were two similar tiles, the ones I had inquired about, which actually came in a rectangle and were a stark white; then these below, which were *just* off white, and came in the hexagon. These are $8 more per square meter, but are available now!!! WINNER!


The photo above is over the top of a ceaserstone sample which is near identical to our laminex - see below for a comparison. So we're pretty happy with this, will grout it in a white, and this girl will be doing the tiling! 


Later that day, we got another of our electrical work quotes back. While this quote was significantly better than the first, Puffin had forgotten to mention about half of the work required. So Squirrel put him in her parents washing machine. On the delicate setting. 


And in horrifying news, we had our first spider incident!!! A big bad-ass huntsman. Puffin was shocked at the amount of screaming Squirrel did when it fell to the ground when he was getting it, and the huntsman lost a leg in the process. Squirrel screamed until the spare leg was removed as well; on the off chance that the single leg regenerated into a huge spider. Perhaps Aragon. 


Today, Squirrel is going to investigate about those mirrors, and head to the carpet joint to see if they can joint and over-lock a section of carpet to go under the massage table. Then I'll place a call to our kitchen guy to add a under-bench rubbish bin. Oh, and I guess I better get some uni work done, too. Until next time, sweet bloggers.



No comments:

Post a Comment