Friday 27 September 2013

Bring me a shrubbery

Welllllll bloggers. It's day 8 of Puffin and Squirrel being away from one another. And guess what? It still sucks. At least on Squirrels end. But, not one to wallow, there's plenty of things to keep me busy! Now I don't think it's been mentioned on this blog, but Puffin is a Myotherapist! And a bloody good one at that. As well as working at a Spa, he also does massages at home, in what will be our office.

Puffins last massage before he left for Thailand was on the Badger - and given his table has been needing some repairs for some time, he left it here with us. Badger made the required adjustments, and after that, Squirrel was looking at the table cover and thought, 'dear god that looks awful'. You may have guessed by now - we're fixers. So I picked up where Badger left off and set about making a new massage table cover.


Before. Quite sad. Lots of holes, face hole had ripped heaps, it was sagging, just really, really sad. 


Measuring up.


Making marks for top of table and adding in fabric for sides and seam.


Making the seam for elastic.


Threading it through. This took like half an hour. Argh. Bad TV at this time of day, by the way. 


Luckily, I hadn't just made a shower cap. I then took this to the table to check (for the 15th time during making this) that it still fit, and it did. So I set about making the face hole.


And here is where the progress shots on the face hole stop. Wow. Trying to make a neat edge in a CIRCLE is fucking hard. Took me two goes. Had to unpick the whole lot. Urgh. It's fixed now, but I'm still considering down the track, running it down to the alterations shop to get him to overlock this face hole.


And ta-da!!! Doesn't that look better? But the alterations to massage as an activity in the office weren't complete! 



 We had a few sections of spare carpet left so I took it to an overlocker in Ballarat, who cut, joined and overlocked a section just big enough for the table! Not too big so that is a tripping hazard, or takes up too much space in the room. We also had a section made for the front door. 


And there you have it! If I had brought a table cover, I was looking at $47.00 off eBay; but I couldn't get one the right size! And again, an indoor door matt would be at least $30, and add to that a custom matt for under the table and we would have been looking at about $110. 

Instead - DIY and using what we already had - $40 for overlocking, and $16 for fabric and elastic - total $56!! That's half the price!! 

2 comments:

  1. Cat and Jak (mostly Cat)28 September 2013 at 15:52

    I am so very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat - don't tell anyone but I think I might be crafty. It's like this secret gene has made an appearance. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete