Monday 2 September 2013

"A hospital? What is it?" "It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now."


Readers of this blog, and those with enough patience to listen to me, would know that one of the great loves of my life is the Barcelona chair, designed by Mies van der Rohe in 1929. This chair is basically the most perfect thing ever designed. In fact, if you gave me the time, I would probably carry on like Dan Cruickshank when he visited the Bauhaus museum on his 'Around the world in 80 treasures' adventure, and checked out the Mies van der Rohe BRNO chair. A documentary which I highly recommend by the way. His enthusiasm for architecture and design and history is wonderful. (Also check out 'The Manor Reborn')



And oh isn't is lovely. And it's also had the price reduced to $599 at clickon furniture in the fabric version I'm after! 

But if I was given a budget for chairs that was as big as Tom Petrovki's beard and the impact it has had on finance reporting...



... here are some of the others I would buy -  all SEVEN of them!



The no.18 Thonet Bentwood chair. The cousin to this chair, the no.14 was developed in 1859. What? 1859? Thus proving good design is timeless. As is classiness. People always under estimate class, not only in furniture but also in clothes and people as well. Vote 1 Australia Classy Party. Click here for the link to buy this, and all of the other chairs seen here, from Matt Blatt. This chair - $195 (But you can get them cheaper elsewhere!) These would make a lovely dining chair.





Now, the Jens Risom chair. These are lovely and I've often noted these in hotels Puffin and I have stayed in. Designed in 1941 (!!!) and retailing for $399, this would make a gorgeous chair for a bedroom.





This here is the Philippe Stark Louis Ghost Armchair. This chair is the baby of these picks, and was designed in 2002. There is a couple of things I adore about this chair; first is the gorgeous design which, as the designer intended, is reminiscent of the Louis the 15th period. Second, is that blend of old and new, being the clear acrylic. Lastly, it kinda reminds me of the blow up furniture look which was popular in the 90's but I was never cool enough to own. But looking back, maybe I'm glad of that. $129, and another chair I would love in the bedroom.




This here is the Hans Wegner Plank chair, designed in 1953. A lovely, comfy chair, it reminds me of one that someone had when I was growing up. If any of my relatives on the Butler side can remember who and remind me, that'd be great! $995





Ah, now here, my prize, the black widow, isn't she lovely and so deadly; her kiss is fifteen times as poisonous as that of the rattlesnake. That's one for you Alice Cooper fans out there. (What, you're saying that no one we know actually listens to Alice Cooper? Whatever). Anyway. This lovely is the Eames lounge chair, and a leather version retails for $1695 (Phwah!) from Matt Blatt. Designed in 1956, this is a gorgeous chair and 

so of course one must buy both. As well as gorgeous styling, I have lusted after this chair ever since the days of Frasier, when it sat in front of the Seattle skyline in what was probably my favorite apartment on a TV show ever.






The Eames Side Chair in Wood, designed 1940-50 (help me, someone), is a lovely, classic piece, perfect for a dining table. $69.00






To finish off, the Eero Aarnio Ball Chair. Designed in 1963, and retailing for $995. I will probably* never buy this chair, but I love how fun it is. Imagine spinning around on this, or stroking your fluffy white cat and plotting world domination in one of these. You might even go as far as drawing up plans for your sharks with frickin lazer beams on their fricken heads, in this chair. 

And there is is, your mid century wrap up of my favorite chairs. Yes, it's ok, you can have a favorite chair. Which ones are your favorites? Do you have other faves? Let us know below or on Facebook!



** When I say probably, I mean, I might buy it if we move into a house filled with other mid century features, and a moat. Probably not a blue one though and definitely not a red one.





No comments:

Post a Comment